Match reports – 24th February 2024

Ladies 1s  0 – 2  Wapping 1s

In a contested battle the dream team faced the top of the league who previously came away with a 2-0 win against us. Despite the long journey the energy and intensity of the team was there as soon as we stepped on to the olympic grounds. This was displayed in an excellent start to the game with a strike from Tilly that was unfortunately saved by the keeper of the opposition.

Offensively, we created numerous chances to attack and get forward but we weren’t able to get the ball in the back of the net. During the game wapping won a short and a we weren’t quite able to cover the post in time for a deflection. Amiee kept us in the game with some incredible saves which led to her being MOM this weekend.

In the second half, we came out even stronger, we pressed with intent and counter attacked thus proving our ability. We managed to put up a fight to against the aggressively attacking wapping presented us with, which led to a 0-0 half. Resulting in a progressive 1-0 loss to the top of the league.


OCHC Men’s 2XI vs Spencer Men’s 3XI

Date: February 24, 2024

Venue: Fortress TD

In a highly anticipated clash between two of London Division 2 South’s titans, OC Men’s 2’s hosted their rivals Spencer Men’s 3’s at Fortress TD. The playing conditions were described by most as ‘perfect hockey conditions’ and a great platform for the legends to make amends for a tough 2-1 first leg (A) loss.

Following a customary church warm up and sharp SSG’s / shooting, the lads were ready for the task ahead buoyed by the skipper’s cry for a fast and clinical start. The match kicked off intensely as both teams looked to gain an early advantage. OCHC playing with a high press, looked threatening in the opening minutes, with their attacking trio of Dave Roberts, Ben Wilson, and Dan Ladd causing problems for the Spencer defense.

After numerous chances, It was OCHC who drew first blood in the 15th minute, capitalising on a defensive lapse from Spencer. A well-worked short corner saw, Charlie Lamb pounce on a rebound and calmly flick the ball into the far corner at close range.

Despite Spencer’s best efforts, and a particularly solid showing from the OC’s backline, Spencer struggled to capitalise, and it wasn’t long before OCHC doubled the lead with a goal of the season contender. Fresh faced, Will Fox, silkily beating four players and rounding the keeper, sending the OC diehards into raptures.

Half Time Score: OCHC 2 – 0 Spencer

After a familiar half time team talk from ‘Piesy’, it was clear the OC’s had not been clinical enough and the intensity needed to be improved. Both teams continued to push for the next goal, with Spencer enjoying some good spells of possession including, several carefully curated attacks, orchestrated from their midfield.

However, it was OCHC who seized the initiative midway through the second half. A moment of brilliance from Ben Wilson with a trademark right post short corner deflection, giving OCHC a crucial 3-0 lead in the 50th minute.

In true fashion, the OC’s didn’t make it easy for themselves, and despite facing a three-goal deficit, the opposition refused to throw in the towel and managed to pull one back with a well-taken goal of their own, briefly giving them hope of a comeback.

However, any hopes of a miraculous turnaround were dashed when Charlie Lamb doubled his tally and sealed the victory for OCHC, with a sublime ‘pitching wedge’ strike from the right hand side of the D into the bottom corner, putting the result beyond any doubt.

In the end, it was OCHC who emerged victorious in this fiercely contested match, securing three vital points in the title race. The win served as a statement of intent from OCHC and an excellent way to kick off the STAG antics that were to follow late into the evening…! #shippingcontainers

Final Score: OCHC 4 – 1 Spencer



Ladies 2s  1 – 3  Sunbury and Walton Hawks 1s

We started off strong with a great warm up and good tunes to get us all hyped and ready for the game ahead. After some good discussions in our team talk, we knew the opposition would be very physical and fast paced. It was clear from the first minute that it was going to be a tough match.

After a quick start from Sunbury and Walton and a goal conceived we worked hard to pass our way around the opposition but due to their well drilled attacking, they managed to gain a short corner. Although Jasmine made a brilliant save to their first shot, they managed to knock in another goal from the rebound making it 2-0 to Sunbury.

The ladies 2s were not going to give up and with brilliant 1-2s between Ella and Grace, and a wonderful ball from Charlie for Jess to run onto, we managed to gain a short corner just before half time. After practicing short corners at practice on Wednesday, we smashed a ball in from the top of the D. Unfortunately the keeper made a great save and  with some strong defending, we went into half time 2-0 down.

We came out stronger in the second half with lots of possession and a few fabulous interceptions across the midfield and upfront, eager to score. Ignoring the multiple green cards for the opposition, we powered through and with a drive along the baseline to Alice at 90 and a slip to Amelie we got a goal!

Sunbury tested our defence but they held strong and after multiple great tackles from Elle and Hellen, Sunbury snuck in another goal. The ladies 2s powered on until the end but sadly today was not our day.

Final score: 3-1 Sunbury and Walton

POM: Ella Bailey

GOAL SCORER: Amelie Rucco


Hamstrings  1 – 1  Haslemere

Playing at fortress TD for the first time since the loss of our team mate and great clubman Tissy, we marked it with another poignant and emotional minutes silence huddled shoulder to shoulder with our opponents. Thanks to Haslemere, that was a nice moment.

The game got underway with us being a little too tentative for some reason, not moving the ball around well, forcing passes and losing out on the 50/50 tackles all too often. Nige was called upon a few too many times as a sweeper keeper which certainly kept him interested in watching the state of play and barking out instructions to our unusually unorganised defensive unit. We conceded from a short corner after a deflection found its way onto CJ’s foot before deflecting upwards and forced home, good advantage played by Phil for which the oppo were grateful. A few moments later as we were finding our rhythm until that was halted abruptly by the head of Birksy, who took a ball to the head from a needless tomahawk from their defender trying to clear his lines. Not a pleasant sound, ball to skull at that pace but thanks to Si, Molly and others in helping out and ensuring Birksy was well looked after.

Game resumed a little while later and we now started to play well with our three guest players from the Barnies making a difference for us. Half time team talk was about retaining possession, pressing to dominate tackles and being patient in attack. Buoyed on by Closey on the sidelines and Si in our dugout, we pressed forward with Yongey dominating the midfield and Howie occupying their left/right/kakhanded player in the middle who was clearly their danger man.
Just as we were running out of patience with multiple chances going begging, Poen took matters into his own hands and dribbled from left to right entering the D and shooting hard and low, GOAL, and a well deserved one at that. With about 10 mins to go it was now pretty much all OC’s and even though we had multiple short corners we could not double our lead even though the “tomahawk king” tried to double our injuries with yet another crazy clearance. It finished with 2 short corners at the final whistle which we could not convert with all 10 men up but 1-1 the final score, probably a fair result in the end.

Man of the match – Toby Yonge
Goal scorer – Shaun Cleghorn
DoD – Richard Birks (for not ducking, resulting in me needing to do the match report)


OC Warriors  3 – 3  Surbiton Sparticans

Goals: Jack Walker, James Hudson, Chris Powell
MoM: Zac Hawes
Warriors (5th) v Spartican (2nd) was always going to be a test of gladiatorial proportions, although I am not sure if Darren and Goalie knew what they were letting themselves into.
Warriors welcomed back Jack Walker to the team after being missing in the Bermuda Triangle for a few months, as well as a vocal home crowd who narrowly out shouted Surbiton.
Onto the game, Warriors started well and within a few minutes showed that Surbiton were going to have to fight for the points with a slick short corner routine that saw Jack deftly slam the ball into the far corner of the goal. Jack’s back. The Sparticans were up for the fight and hit back almost instantly with a cannon of a shot from the top of the D that ricocheted off Harry’s stick and into the goal. The game continued in feisty style until Grant was taken out by the Sparticans goalie, Jonty picked up the loose ball and shot at goal only to be saved by a Spartican body part with and a p-flick as the reward. Zac stepped up, beat the goalie but unfortunately not the far post, leaving the game all square. Surbiton hit back and through another similar goalmouth melee were fortunate to get another lucky ricochet to put them infront at the half.
The second half started with a strong high press from Surbiton that resulted in a decent strike that left Joe in goal with little chance. The goal did spark a Warrior rally cry. Sparked on by the partisan support, James fired in a bullet of a shot from the top D to reduce the deficit and then in the last 5 minutes of the game Jonty’s saved shot dropped to Powelly who lifted the ball over the keeper into the net.
A battling performance that demonstrated how far the team has come over the season and has dented Spartican’s hopes of promotion.
Ladies 5s  2 – 4  Ashford
First challenge of the day accomplished, we had 13 players to play against Ashford. We need to thank the weather that provoke the cancellation of 4s and 6s matches and got some last minute volunteers. So between injuries, unavailability, volunteers and usual, 13 ready to play. Tick.
The match started strong and Ashford was strong and quickly enclosed us down. We were decided to fight this match so put our sticks down and stopped them. Soon we managed to stretch the pitch and leave our 16s and created some interesting counter attacks. They managed some hit to goal but Naysa was on fire and did some great saves. Very equal 1st half, until they managed to score their 1st goal.
Half time, team was really positive and willing to revert the result. Went back strong and 1st goal from OCs a proper team effort, not sure who didn’t participate on the goal as it feels like that the ball was touched by everyone before the last touch of Georgia. Was a boost of energy and positivity.
Unfortunately Ashford went strong so even if it was a very equal the match ended 4-2. Our second goal came from a short corner, a straight strike from Freya “bone breaker” that with any hesitation left the back board trembling.
Great team and volunteers effort even if the result doesn’t show it. Mentions to Naysa that had an amazing match.
POM: Isobel Archbold
Written by: Carolina (injured didn’t play)
Ladies 7s  0 – 2  Cheam 3s

After having had some matches cancelled in the morning, we met in Cheam, eager to show that although we are at the bottom of the table, we are no pushover. We wanted to build on the way we have been playing and the team did not disappoint at all.

Cheam opened by pushing forward and some stunning stickwork by Inge, Leigh and Pam kept them out of the D and out of the goal. Belle was on fire as right defence, playing out of the D several times and taking them on in probably her best match for us this season.

We were hard pressed at the back, and got the chance to trot out our Monday night training on defensive shorts quite early. Despite the fact that only Leigh, Annie and I had been there for the training, we all pulled together and held them out. Leigh’s banana run forcing them into mistake after mistake.

Sarah substituted beautifully on the back line, and it showed in the seamless way the back four played today.

After the first pressure. We did manage to get the ball going in the other direction, and Harriet and Lia played well together given it was the first match they have played together. After a hiccup in the first half, by the second half they were running forward together. Rachel played both left and right and also had her best match for the team. Annie and Nadia chased down every ball, forcing Cheam to make mistakes, putting the ball off the sides, the back and just generally losing the ball.

Jane, Sophia and Emma tried their best, but didn’t get the service they needed to trouble their goalkeeper.

We defended very strongly in the first half with everyone pulling their weight and it was a pleasure to watch.

The second half started the same way, with the team absorbing the pressure. Everyone played their part and it was a real team effort.

Unfortunately we let our marking lapse a bit and they managed a break and a great solo goal. Seconds later, they managed a super one-two in front of goal and scored a second.

We didn’t let it faze us, but fought back and dug deep, preventing a rout. The whole team pulled together. Player of the match Leigh continued to run one at the shorts, and they didn’t score from a short at all. She was also pressing forward and we gave more forward pressure in the second half, despite them pressing more and more.

There were great moments where we showed flashes of the way we can play and those moments are becoming more frequent. As a team, we are becoming stronger and we put in a solid team performance. Everyone played their part today. Well played, Ladies.

Player of the match was Leigh Johnstone. Honourable mentions to Lia Lorenz, Inge Winn, Rachel Lothian and Belle Sieger who all played very well.